ASME B30.13-2003 pdf – STORAGE/RETRIEVAL (S/R) MACHINES AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT
ASME B30.13-2003 pdf – STORAGE/RETRIEVAL (S/R) MACHINES AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.
g) electrical apparatus, such as an emergency stop button, shall be functionally tested
(h) overspeed sensors, loss-of-support detection mechanisms, and stopping mechanisms shall be functionally tested
(i) other items as detailed in the supplier’s maintenance manual shall be considered
13-2.1.4 SIR Machines or Aisle Transfer Cars Not in Regular Use
An S/R machine or aisle transfer car which has been idle for a period of 1 month or more shall be given an inspection conforming to the requirements of paras. 13- 2.1.2 and 13-2.4.1(b) before being placed into service.
13-2.1.5 Inspection Records
Dated inspection reports or comparable records shall be made on critical items such as drives, sheaves, chains, ropes, sprockets, shuttles, and safety devices [refer to para. 13-2.1.1(b)(2)]. Records should be available to appointed personnel.
SECTION 13-2.2: TESTING
13-2.2.1 Operational Tests
(a) Prior to initial use, all new, reinstalled, altered, extensively repaired, or modified S/R machines and aisle transfer cars shall be tested by a qualified person to insure compliance with this Standard including the following functions:
(1) lifting and lowering
(2) horizontal travel
(3) shuttle operation
(4) limit sensors, locking, and safety devices
(b) The trip setting of the hoist limit sensors shall be determined by tests with an empty carriage traveling at normal speed. The actuating mechanism of the limit sensor shall be located so that it will trip the sensor, under all conditions, in sufficient time to prevent damage to the carriage or hoisting mechanism.
13-2.2.2 Rated Load Test
Prior to initial use, all new, extensively repaired, and altered S/R machines should be tested and inspected in a manual mode by or under the direction of an appointed or authorized person and a written report furnished by such person confirming the load rating of the S/R machine. The load rating should not be more than 80% of the maximum load sustained during the test. Test loads shall not be more than 125% of the rated load unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer. The test reports shall be available to appointed personnel.
SECTION 13-2.3: MAINTENANCE
13-2.3.1 Preventive Maintenance
(a) A preventive maintenance program should be established and be based on the manufacturer’s or qualified person’s recommendation. Dated records should be available to appointed personnel.
(b) Replacement parts shall be at least equal to the original manufacturer’s specifications.
13-2.3.2 Maintenance Procedure
(a) Before adjustments and repairs are started on an SIR machine, aisle transfer car, runways, machine aisle conductors, or aisle transfer conductors, the following precautions shall be taken as applicable:
(1) the S/R machine or aisle transfer car to be repaired shall be run to a location where it will cause the least interference with other S/R machines or aisle transfer cars and operations in the area.
(2) transmission of remote command signals to the SIR machine and aisle transfer car shall be prevented. The SIR machine shall be prevented from responding to any remote command signals.
(3) main power disconnect shall be deenergized and locked, tagged, or flagged in the deenergized position unless power is required for maintenance to be performed.
(4) warning or out of order signs shall be placed on the machine where readily visible.
(5) where other S/R machines or aisle transfer cars are in operation on the same runway, rail stops or other suitable means shall be provided to prevent interference with the idle S/R machine or aisle transfer car.
(b) After adjustments and repairs have been made, the SIR machine or aisle transfer car shall not be returned to service until all guards have been reinstalled, safety devices reactivated, and maintenance equipment removed.
13-2.3.3 Adjustments and Repairs
(a) Any hazardous conditions disclosed by the inspection requirements of Section 13-2.1 shall be corrected before normal operation of the S/R machine or aisle transfer car is resumed. Adjustments and repairs shall be done only by designated personnel.
(b) Adjustments, repairs, and replacements shall be made according to the manufacturer’s or a qualified person’s recommendations. Special attention should be given to the following:
(1) all functional operating mechanisms
(2) limit sensors and safety devices
(3) control systems
(5) all critical parts which are cracked, broken, bent, or excessively worn.