ASME B30.5-2011 pdf – Mobile and Locomotive Cranes
ASME B30.5-2011 pdf – Mobile and Locomotive Cranes.
(b) The load shall be attached to the hook by means of slings or other devices of sufficient capacity.
5-126.96.36.199 Holding the Load
(a) The operator shall not leave the controls while the load is suspended, except as permitted in para. 5-188.8.131.52(d).
(b) No person should be permitted to stand or pass tinder a suspended load.
(c) If the load hoist mechanism is not equipped with an automatic brake and the load must remain suspended for any considerable length of time, the operator shall hold the drum from rotating in the lowering direction by activating the device specified in para. 5-1.3.2(a)(4). The boom hoist brakes shall be set and the device specified in para. 5-1.3.1(c) shall be engaged.
(d) As an exception to para. 5-184.108.40.206(a), under those circumstances requiring a load to be held suspended for a period of time exceeding normal lifting operations, the operator may leave the controls provided that, prior to that time, the appointed individual and operator shall establish the requirements for restraining the boom hoist, telescoping, load, swing, and outrigger functions, and provide notices, barricades, or whatever other precautions may be necessary
11) 5-220.127.116.11 Moving the Load
(a) The person directing the lift shall see that
(1) the crane is level and, where necessary, blocked (2) the load is well secured and balanced in the sling or lifting device before it is lifted more than a few inches
(3) the lift and swing path is clear of obstructions (4) all persons are clear of the swing radius of the
(b) Before starting to lift, the following conditions should be noted:
(1) The hoist rope shall not be kinked.
(2) Multiple-part lines shall not be twisted around each other.
(3) The hook shall be brought over the load in such a manner as to minimize swinging.
(4) If there is a slack rope condition, it shall be determined that the rope is seated on the drum and in the sheaves as the slack is removed.
(5) The effect of ambient wind on the load and on crane stability.
(c) During lifting operations, care shall be taken that
(1) there is no sudden acceleration or deceleration of the moving load
(2) load, boom, or other parts of the machine do not contact any obstruction
(d) Side loading of booms shall be limited to freely suspended loads. Cranes shall not be used for dragging loads sideways.
(e) The operator should avoid carrying loads over people.
(‘j) When partially extended outriggers are used, the following requirements, when applicable, shall be met:
(1) Crane operation with partially extended outriggers shall only be undertaken if approved by the crane manufacturer.
(2) Outriggers shall be set at equal positions that correspond to the load rating charts supplied by the manufacturer for those positions. Oniy the load rating chart(s) corresponding to the outrigger positions shall be used for operation.
(3) When situations arise where outriggers must be set at unequal positions that correspond to the load rating charts supplied by the manufacturer (see Fig. 5-18.104.22.168-1), the load rating charts corresponding with the individual quadrants of operation shall be used. The manufacturer or qualified person shall be consulted to determine if any capacity reductions, special operating procedures, or limitations are required.
(a) The crane operator shall approve the setup of the crane. If a crane operator has a supervisor involved in crane setup, the operator and the supervisor shall discuss and agree upon any required limitations.
(b) A means shall be provided to limit crane movement or to warn the operator of proximity to prohibited operational ranges or areas.
(4) When situations arise that will not permit outriggers to be set at positions that correspond to the locations established by the manufacturer’s load rating chart(s), the crane manufacturer shall be consulted to determine if any capacity reductions, special operating procedures, or limitations are required. If required information is not available from the manufacturer, a qualified person shall be consulted.